Posted on | January 23, 2011 | Comments Off
Link building is very important to the success of your online business. Everyone might have their own thoughts on what it takes to build a successful link building campaign, but here are the Top 6 Link Building Predictions for 2011.
1. Brand Names Will Become More Used than the Keyword-Based Anchor Text: Recently, many sites were penalized for possibly having too much anchor text. The Mayday changes resulted in more brand dominance in search engine results. Because of this, link building will now be more focused on targeting brands and names of businesses rather than the anchor text keyword. This could help the importance of review sites and their weight in the search results.
2. Quality over Quantity: Google has been working really hard lately to go through and get rid of all of the low quality sites that offer no real value to its visitors. Links from these sources will be lost, which is why link building should be more focused on getting links from higher quality sites. The only real question for 2011 is, what is going to be the determining factor for “quality”?
3. More Emphasis on Authority over PageRank: There used to be much emphasis on pagerank when it came to linkbuilding. Over the last year, pagerank has quickly died out. This year, more emphasis will be put on factors such as domain authority, page authority, as well as mozRank.
4. More Links Pointing to Website Content Rather than Homepage: Content is King! The websites’ content is becoming more and more important, and with that so is the opportunity to build links directly to these inner content pages on your website instead of linking to the homepage.
5. The Growing Important of Conversions Over Rankings: There is no value in being the #1 search result for your chosen keyword if you are not getting any conversions from it. It is now more important to know whether or not the link building is affecting your conversion rates more than whether or not it is just moving your site up in the search engines.
6. Social Mentions Having More Weight than Dofollow Links: Social media is the wave of the future on the internet. It is a big influence on the search engine rankings. Both Google as well as Bing are thinking about including social mentions into their algorithms for ranking. Both Facebook and Twitter will have much importance with this. Social mentions used to carry no weight and were considered nofollow and worthless when it came to SEO. This is changing very quickly.
There are many changes coming in 2011. These changes will greatly affect our link building strategies and how we go about ranking our websites in the search results. Everything that we thought we knew about ranking our websites is slowly but surely coming to a halt. These changes might be a little intimidating at first but will probably prove to be great changes for us all.